Witches, ghosts and goblins are ready to come out and scare tomorrow night! But before you journey out for a night of trick-or-treating, be sure to follow these helpful tips to ensure this fun-filled evening happens safely!
- Prepare your child’s costume to guarantee they can be seen at all times. This can be done by adding reflective tape or providing them with glow-in-the-dark jewelry. As the night falls, it will be harder for drivers to see children, so remind them to keep their protective wear on at all times.
- Remind them never to enter a stranger’s home. Ensure them it is alright to approach a fully-lit home, but tell them that under no circumstances should they go inside.
- If traveling with friends, make sure they stay with them the entire evening. It is important your children understand never to travel alone and to have a friend or adult with them at all times. In addition, help to plan your child’s route and remind them to follow it strictly.
- Follow basic pedestrian safety rules. Make sure your children know to stay on sidewalks, cross only at corners and be aware of the traffic before crossing. Remember, it is much easier for your children to see a passing car than for a car to see them.
- Be sure to check all candy prior to eating. Remind your children that they cannot eat any candy until they come home and have you inspect it first. Be sure to check for any tampering or opened wrappers. To avoid having kids eat their candy during the evening, feed them a well-balanced meal prior to the start of the night.
Halloween is an exciting time for children, but it can also be very dangerous for them as well. Be sure to review these tips with your little ones and make sure they understand the importance of sticking to them. At OceanPoint Insurance, protecting your family is our top priority, so call us for any questions concerning this article. From all of us at OceanPoint, have a Happy Halloween!