https://www.oceanpointins.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/shutterstock_627689084.jpg 3030 4545 Alison Carreiro https://www.oceanpointins.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/oceanpoint-logo-300px.jpg Alison Carreiro2017-02-03 21:27:152023-03-28 08:15:58Safeguard Your Home Before You Travel
Safeguard Your Home Before You Travel
Whether you’re hitting the slopes or heading south for the winter, it is imperative that you protect your home before you begin your vacation. Taking a few precautions in advance can provide you with added peace of mind and ensure your property is secure while you travel.
- Request that a neighbor check on your home. This will reduce the likelihood of your home being burglarized. Ask them to retrieve mail or newspapers and check the property for anything out of the ordinary.
- Never post about an upcoming vacation on social media. Announcing your intentions to leave town is asking for trouble. Wait until your return home to post pictures and details of your travels.
- Set your thermostat to no lower than 55° F. This will prevent frozen or burst pipes, which can lead to extensive and costly water damage.
- Unplug all unnecessary appliances. Protect your home from an electrical fire or power surge by unplugging anything that will not be in use during your vacation. This includes your toaster, coffee maker and other small appliances
- Make it appear as if you’re home. This can be accomplished by simply keeping your blinds in the same position you normally do and leaving a few lights on inside your home. It is also a good idea to consider installing motion sensor lights around the exterior of your home.
Your friends at OceanPoint Insurance wish you safe and happy travels.