Stay Safe and Protect Yourself from Halloween Mishaps
At OceanPoint Insurance, protecting your family is our top priority. As you make final touches to your costumes, stock up on candy, and gear up for some spooktacular fun, we want to remind you of a few safety tips to keep you and your trick-or-treaters safe this Halloween. Additionally, taking steps to prepare your property and protect visitors is also a good idea.
- For greater visibility during dusk and darkness, decorate or trim costumes with reflective tape that will glow in the beam of a car’s headlights. Bags or sacks should also be light colored or decorated with reflective tape.
- To easily see and be seen, children should also carry flashlights.
- Costumes should be short enough to prevent children from tripping and falling.
- Drive slowly and watch for children darting into the street.
Be Aware of Dangers that Might Not be Visible at Night
- Walk your property before Halloween to identify and minimize potential dangers, especially those difficult to see after dark. For example, check to make sure temporary extension cords are secured to avoid a tripping hazard.
- Make sure walking surfaces are even and clear of debris, and that any obstacles are clearly marked, such as stakes, exposed roots or holes.
- Ensure that your front yard, walkway and entryway are well lit so that those unfamiliar with your home can safely navigate.
Halloween is an exciting time for children, but it can also be very dangerous for them as well. Be sure to review these tips with your little ones and make sure they understand their importance. If you have any concerns about keeping your family safe and protecting your property this week, contact OceanPoint Insurance at 847.5200.